October 8, 2002
Accommodation for Students
LENGTH: 1444 words
UNITE Goup plc (www.unite-group.co.uk), the UKs leading provider of accommodation services for students and NHS Key workers, has concluded an agreement with Accommodation for Students (www.accommodationforstudents.com), the UKs most advanced student accommodation search engine, whereby Accommodation for Students will feature 29 of UNITEs Larger Private Housing Properties, comprising well over 10,000 rooms, on a special section of its website.
UNITE is the largest provider of good value, high quality accommodation to students in the UK, with its own website (www.unite-students.co.uk) where students can view and book accommodation online. Accommodation for Students currently receives over 50,000 unique visitors a month and has been highly acclaimed by students and landlords alike for effectively matching accommodation needs to availability. UNITE will pay Accommodation for Students a commission for every referral and tenancy secured through the Accommodation for Students website.
Roz Keir, Web Content Researcher, at UNITE, said: "Accommodation for Students will provide another important channel in reaching our student market. It has quickly established itself as the student accommodation website with the traffic to match and we look forward to receiving many enquiries for our properties which can accommodate more than 10,000 students in 15 cities across the UK."
Recent research has shown that there has been a large increase in students in full-time higher education with no commensurate expansion in student accommodation provided by Higher Educational Institutions, making students more reliant on corporately funded student housing and the private rented sector.
William Berry, director of Accommodation for Students, said: "We are delighted to have concluded a deal with such a large and prestigious operator as UNITE. Corporately funded and privately managed high-quality, high spec student housing is definitely one of the major developments in the marketplace and UNITE is a top player in this sector. From our point of view, our mission is to provide the widest choice of student accommodation available, from all sources, and the UNITE initiative provides a huge additional resource of accommodation opportunities for our visitors. Our site now provides potential accommodation for over 20,000 students UK wide."
Accommodation for Students intends to increase its partnerships with other key student housing builders, major letting agents and accommodation providers.
About Accommodation for Students
Accommodation for Students Ltd. was founded by William Berry and Simon Thompson, ex-students from Manchester, in June 2000. The site went live in test phase in June 2001, prior to its full launch in January 2002.
The sites features include:
- A powerful search engine accessing a nationwide database of student accommodation properties
- An easy-to-use, comprehensive set of accommodation criteria, including geographical location, number of rooms (including required size of room), rent, interior facilities (from satellite/cable television to dishwasher), exterior facilities (from garden to off-street parking) and service facilities (eg CORGI registered gas central heating)
- Notice board facility - Clipboard facility to save accommodation details
- Landlord email facility which sends an email to the landlord with one click when a student finds a property they like. The email specifies the house and student details and effects an introduction between the student and landlord.
- Chatroom to allow potential housemates to talk to each other and review house options.
- Sophisticated, user-friendly landlord admin suite which allows landlords to directly upload and edit their property details and pictures on the Accommodation for Students website. The unique measurement facility allows landlords to judge the effectiveness of the website in attracting student interest to their properties and ultimately their letting.
- Easy contact system: Accommodation for Students email landlord service. This service enables students to send a generic email of interest to a landlord with one click. This also ensures the privacy of landlord email addresses.
Accommodation for Students Accolades
- Highly Commended in the Best Industry Innovation category at the inaugural 2002 Property Business Awards